Welcome to the Potton Neighbourhood Plan website.
You have probably seen us at the various community events in Potton over the last three years and we’d like to give you a brief outline of what exactly a Neighbourhood Plan is and how the steering group, led by Potton Town Council, are working on producing Potton’s development plan until 2035.
What is a neighbourhood plan?
A neighbourhood plan is a plan drawn up by a community that sets out a shared vision, policies and proposals to shape future growth and development of the local area. Once agreed by Central Bedfordshire Council (CBC) and ratified by a referendum by the residents of Potton, the Neighbourhood Plan will become a statutory document which means that by law it has to be taken into account by CBC when planning applications are being determined.
A Neighbourhood Plan:
- Allows people to have a say on where new homes, shops, businesses and community facilities should go and what they should look like.
- Gives people the opportunity to identify and help protect areas of green space that are of particular importance to them.
- Cannot stop development but it can guide or encourage further development.
Why produce a neighbourhood plan?
A neighbourhood plan can give people real power to shape the development and growth of their local area. There are many potential benefits of a neighbourhood plan in terms of outcomes and also the process of preparing one. For example, a neighbourhood plan can:
- Give local people greater ownership of the planning policies in their area
- Allow a community to set out where development should go and what it should look like
- Bring the community together to share ideas and build consensus about the needs and priorities for the area;
- Help create lasting partnerships to take forward actions that may arise from the process;
- Raise awareness and understanding of planning;
- Improve relationships between the community and the Town Council;
- Provide a detailed evidence base about the community;
- Inform local authority strategies
A resounding YES vote in the referendum – 96% supported our Neighbourhood Plan
This shows that the Neighbourhood Plan has strong support in the Potton Parish and we now have a mandate to set about fulfilling the Town’s Vision for 2016-2035